Shipwreck dinner is a classic casserole dish that combines layers of ground beef, potatoes, vegetables, and tomato sauce. Here’s a recipe for Shipwreck Dinner:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat until fully cooked. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the diced onion and minced garlic to the skillet with the ground beef. Sauté for a few minutes until the onion is softened.
- Season the ground beef mixture with dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Layer the sliced potatoes on the bottom of a greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Spoon half of the ground beef mixture over the potatoes, spreading it evenly.
- Layer the sliced carrots on top of the ground beef.
- Spread the frozen green beans and corn over the carrots.
- Pour the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce over the vegetables, ensuring they are evenly distributed.
- Spoon the remaining ground beef mixture over the tomato sauce layer.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove the foil and sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese on top, if desired. Return the dish to the oven and bake uncovered for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the shipwreck dinner from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Serve the shipwreck dinner hot as a comforting and hearty meal. It pairs well with a side salad or crusty bread. Enjoy!