- 2 medium Vidalia onions (approx. 1 pound total)
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- cooking spray
How To Make Air Fryer Onion Rings:
- Cut off both ends of the onions, then slice onions into 1/4 inch slices and separate the rings.
- Place the flour and beaten eggs in separate bowls. In a third bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, and seasonings and mix well. Dip the rings in the flour (shaking off excess), then in the eggs until completely coated. Let any excess drip off, then dip in the breadcrumb mixture to coat. Place coated onion rings on a wire rack or a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Spray the tops with cooking spray.
- Spray air fryer basket with olive oil using an oil mister (**do NOT use aerosol cooking spray, as it can damage the inside of the basket**)..
- Working in batches, transfer onion rings to the air fryer.
- Cook at 375° F for 6-8 minutes. Remove from the basket and continue with the next batch.
Tips for success:
- Use 2 smaller onions instead of one larger onion for more reasonably sized rings.
- For the best flavor, choose a Vidalia or other sweet variety of onion.
- Take your time with each step of coating, especially the egg step. Make sure no flour is showing, or the breadcrumbs won’t stick.
- Use a separate fork to dip onion rings into each bowl (flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs). Using a fork instead of your fingers will keep things cleaner and make the coating process easier.
- For the crispiest onion rings, use panko breadcrumbs every time!
- Think twice before omitting the Parmesan cheese. It adds a delicious nutty flavor to the onion rings.